The Wayne Embry Fellowship provides one Canadian with an incredible opportunity to obtain experience in a professional basketball operations environment! This includes event operations experience during the NBA Summer League and Basketball without Borders world camp during the NBA All-Star weekend. If you’re interested in applying, here are a few Wayne Embry Fellowship tips:
Why Should You Apply to The Wayne Embry Fellowship?
The Wayne Embry Fellowship can grant you access to important connections and resources while you gain experience with the NBA in the following roles and departments: coaching, scouting, team services, player development, medicine, financial, equipment, travel, and G-League. In addition, all travel and accommodations for the NBA Summer League and Basketball without Borders world camp during the NBA All-Star weekend are covered by the Fellowship. Also, the winner receives a $30,000 CAD stipend that pays semi-monthly!
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Create a video submission and upload it on Youtube.
- Provide a link for your video submission.
- Fully complete the online application.
- Attach your resume/CV for consideration.
- By applying, you are also agreeing to fully commit to this fellowship (should you win).
The Toronto Raptors want to work with a candidate who exemplifies a passion for and commitment to basketball, following Wayne Embry’s six P’s: Persistence, Preparation, Passion, Perception, and Pride. If this sounds like you, then you are already part of the way there! When you are submitting, don’t forget to:
- Fill out the application fully.
- Attach your most up-to-date resume/CV.
- Include your video submission link.
- Make sure your video submission remains within the time limit (2 minutes).
- Follow all submission instructions carefully.
- Be prepared to commit to this full-time since this is not a part-time opportunity.
Only applicants moving on to the interview stage will be notified.
Video Submission Tips
Your video submission is meant to provide qualifying information to the panel in a way that makes you stand out as a candidate. Therefore, make sure you:
- Explain why you want this Fellowship.
- Consider Wayne Embry’s P’s: Perseverance, Persistence, Preparation, Passion, Perception, and/or Pride. How do these apply to you and make you uniquely qualified for this Fellowship?
- Demonstrate and elaborate on your passion for basketball.
This video cannot be longer than 2 minutes in length. Any videos that are longer than this time will not be considered. Additionally, provide the online link for this video (via YouTube) as part of your submission.
How Should I Film My Video Submission? What Do I Say?
Before filming, especially if you are not sure where to begin, research past finalists/Fellows to watch their videos for inspiration and ideas. Here is a list of the 2021/2022 finalists to get started:
- Noah Lewis (winner)
- Mario Celebre
- Winta Desta
- Bilal Rabbani
- Rose-Anne Joly
- Rachel Van Woezik
- Rachel Ivey
- William Gatchalian
- Ibrahim Ebo Bayazit
There are tons of approaches to creating your video submission. Furthermore, you will notice that every video is unique and highlights each candidate’s personality. In the end, this video should embody you, your accomplishments, your passion for basketball, your commitment to the game, how you exemplify Wayne Embry’s six P’s, and why you want this.
Lastly, for more information on Wayne Embry Fellowship tips to win, check out the Wayne Embry Fellowship: How To Apply next!