Metal Supermarkets is proud to support the skilled trades, and we want to make it easier for students to pursue one of these viable, stable and well-paying careers. Metal Supermarkets will award $2,500 Scholarships to 4 Trade School students this year.
There is a ever-growing shortage of skilled trade workers across North America. The American Welding Society indicates there is a shortage of more than 450,000 skilled welding professionals, and a study commissioned by Metal Supermarkets indicates that young people are simply not aware of possible skilled trades careers, with over 62% of respondents indicating they did not learn about trade school opportunities in high school. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, skilled trades have millions of unfilled positions across the U.S., with as many as 2.5 million more by 2029.
These careers are vital to a wide variety of industries, as well as to maintain and develop critical infrastructure. And during the COVID-19 pandemic, they have proven to be stable, essential jobs, with demand growing upwards of 100% for certain trade careers. In an effort to lessen this current skilled trade worker shortage and raise awareness of the skilled trade careers, Metal Supermarkets is committed to providing students with financial support to continue their education, grow their knowledge in their chosen field and ultimately enter the work force as a skilled tradesperson.
How to Apply
- Students accepted to and attending a post-secondary trade school program with a semester beginning in 2023.
- Open to citizens, permanent residents and resident aliens legally residing in the USA or Canada with a High School Diploma, GED or equivalent
- Scholarship funds are payable to the winner’s certified trade school in the United States or Canada.
- Winner must enroll or already be enrolled in the upcoming semester.
- Employees of Metal Supermarkets Franchising Family of Companies, its franchisees, franchisee staff or their family members may not enter.
Applicants must complete the online application form.
Applicants should be prepared to submit:
- Current transcript(s)
- Up to three letters of recommendation (e.g. former or current employer from industry, school or college instructor, Personal reference)
- Resume including industry/work and community experience.
- Certificate showing enrollment or program acceptance at a certified trade school.
- Optional: Pictures, if applicable and available, of any related work you have completed that exhibits your skill in your chosen trade.
- A photo (used for media/marketing purposes only) to be submitted after the award.
Scholarships will be selected by a committee of Metal Supermarkets corporate staff and current franchisees from across both US and Canada. Scholarships will be awarded based on the applicant’s academic achievement and involvement in related extracurricular activities, especially those related to their chosen trade. Financial need will also be considered in selection. Winners will be notified no later than July 31st.
- Scholarship entries are ONLY accepted online through the online application form.
- Entrants must submit a fully completed entry form. Before scholarship funds will be paid, information submitted on the entrant’s entry form may be verified. If ANY false or misleading information is submitted on the entry form, the student will be disqualified without notification to the entrant.
- Each entrant is allowed only one (1) entry per year. Any attempt to enter again under a different name, address, etc., will automatically disqualify the entrant without notification to the entrant.
- Entrants selected as winners are required to submit the name and contact information of their chosen college/university/certified trade school* for verification of registration and payment of the scholarship to the school. All forms and processes must be completed within sixty (60) days of contest end date or the scholarship is forfeited.