One of CAWIC’s mandates is to promote education and encourage women to pursue careers in the construction industry. To this end, each year we organize several fundraising events, and a portion of the proceeds are allocated to our bursary fund. In order to help us identify potential applicants for bursaries, we approach various Canadian post-secondary institutions that provide diploma or degree programs in construction-related disciplines to distribute information to students on our bursary program. Our Bursary Committee will select the successful recipients of several $1,000 and $2,000 bursaries from a list of applicants. These recipients are chosen based on meeting the required criteria.
Students enrolled in construction-related programs may apply directly to CAWIC on or before June 30, 2023 for the term commencing in September of that year.
How to Apply
Minimum qualifications are:
- Applicant must identify as a woman
- Completion of at least the first year of a diploma or degree program at a college or university and full time enrolment in the subsequent year or minimum enrolled in a 1-year trades program*
- Demonstrate clear career objectives relating to the construction industry
- Evidence of financial need
- Leadership qualities and involvement in community activities
- Interest in activities that further the advancement of women in construction, and
- Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status
*If applying for the Cooper Bursary for Women in Construction, applicant must be enrolled in a minimum 1-year trades program at a college or registered trades school.
Students who wish to apply for a CAWIC bursary must submit the following minimum documentation:
● Completed Application Form
● Two letters of reference, at least one from a current college or university instructor. Letters from family members are not acceptable. **see note below
● Most recent grade transcript
● Covering letter describing career objectives in the construction industry as well as the areas in which they intend to participate in CAWIC activities.
** CAWIC may contact references.
Bursary recipients will receive a one-year complimentary student membership in CAWIC which provides invaluable networking opportunities to women embarking on a career in construction.
Questions may be e-mailed to the Bursary Committee at email@example.com