The Rhodes Scholarship is the oldest international program that enables young adults to study at the University of Oxford.
Which Scholarship is Right For You?
There are scholarships offered in over 22 designated Rhodes constituencies and Global Rhodes Scholarships. Most importantly, review these scholarships to determine which one is best for you.
Rhodes Scholarships For Canada
This is in partnership between the Second Century Founder John McCall MacBain O.C. and the Rhodes Trust. There are eleven Scholarships available for Canada every year. Six regional committees in Canada are responsible for the selection of the eleven Scholars:
- British Columbia – One Scholarship
- Newfoundland – One Scholarship
- Ontario – Two Scholarships
- Quebec – Two Scholarships
- Maritime Region (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island) – Two Scholarships
- Prairie Region (Manitoba, Alberta, and Saskatchewan) – Three Scholarships
If you are unclear about the province or region in which you can apply, then contact the General Secretary. They will decide based on the available evidence.
Also, applicants who are studying at a Canadian university can choose to apply in the province where their university is located OR their province of residence. However, in order to apply through their university, the student must earn an endorsement from their undergraduate institution. Therefore, the student is required to approach the fellowships advisor at their university to take part in their screening process first.
The application process includes many stages. Luckily, the Rhodes Scholarship provides a video series to assist you through the ordeal. Here are the basic 7 steps you should know:
- Determine your eligibility.
- Choose an Oxford course.
- Include a personal statement.
- Provide reference letters.
- Check and gather all the required documents.
- Prepare for social engagements.
- Prepare for the final interview.
For more details on these steps, check out Rhodes Scholarship Tips To Win.
How To Apply
Firstly, find out if you meet the criteria. Secondly, review the information for the Rhodes Scholarship and application guidelines. Thirdly, begin your application here. Applications are filed online and require an authorization code, which is available through the fellowships office at your university (or the regional secretary).
Canadian candidates can compete under:
- The province or region in which you are a resident.
- Any province or region where you have attended or are attending a university that has granted or is willing to grant you a degree.
Please keep in mind that if you are ordinarily a resident outside of Newfoundland, you may not make an application in that province. Additionally, summer courses do not qualify as attendance.
Moreover, if you are a resident of Nunavut, the Yukon, or Northwest Territories, then you may apply to the province or region in which your university resides. If this is not an option, then apply for the Prairie Region (Manitoba, Alberta, and Saskatchewan).
Furthermore, if you are an applicant who is currently studying outside of Canada, apply in the region in which you are normally a resident. Contact the secretary of the relevant Canadian regional committee to access the authorization code for online applications.
A candidate can only apply for ONE Rhodes Scholarship, even though they may be eligible for multiple scholarships:
- Jurisdictional: You meet the eligibility criteria for only one Rhodes Constituency.
- Multijurisdictional: You meet the eligibility for more than one Rhodes Constituency.
- Inter-Jurisdictional: You do not meet the eligibility criteria, but have a verifiable connection to two or more Rhodes constituencies.
- Global: You are not eligible for any existing Rhodes scholarships, and do not have a significant connection to two or more Rhodes constituencies.
Opening Date: June 1, 2020
Closing Date: September 25, 2020 (23:59 PT – PDT)
Impact of Covid-19 on Applications and Selections
Dr. Elizabeth Kiss, the CEO and Warden of The Rhodes Trust, made an announcement regarding the impact of COVID-19 on Applications and Selections. Basically, applications for the 2021 Rhodes Scholarships will remain open as usual and the selection will move ahead as planned later this year.
However, there will be modifications due to the current public health crises. Most cases will conduct remote interviews, which will require the appropriate technologies. With every candidate, The Rhodes Trust will work to ensure that every finalist is offered a full, fair, and equitable interview opportunity.
If you are experiencing difficulties with submitting portions of your application (i.e. academic transcripts) due to the COVID-19 conditions, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or address them directly to the National Secretary for your constituency. So apply!
Lastly, check out The Rhodes Scholarship Overview for more details.