The Beedie Luminaries Scholarship, valued at $40,000, provides financial assistance to promising B.C. students who face financial difficulties. Ultimately, these students are smart but find themselves constrained by circumstances. In addition, this unique program by Beedie Luminaries is comprised of social-profit leaders who believe that levelling the playing field in education can change the world!
Beedie Luminaries is a social-profit enterprise that is designed to remove barriers to education and offer support for promising students who are ready to rise above their circumstances and achieve their goals.
So what’s the value of Beedie Luminaries?
- $40,000 per student for a 4-year undergraduate degree.
- $15,000 per student for a 2-year college or trade school diploma.
- 85 scholarships awarded in 2019 (pilot year).
- 128 scholarships awarded in 2020.
In fact, Beedie Luminaries scholarships are awarding a cohort of 128 British Columbia students who are applying to one of the twenty-five British Columbia public post-secondary institutions in 2021. Additionally, this includes:
- $10,000 CAD per year for a bachelor’s degree program or a college university transfer program, for up to four years of funding.
- $7,500 CAD per year for a college certificate/diploma or a trades program, for up to two years of funding.
A Brief History
Launched on November 13, 2018, Beedie Luminaries began with a $50-million donation from its founder, Ryan Beedie. Basically, the purpose of this scholarship is to help out B.C. students who are facing financial adversity but are also smart, resilient, gritty, and ready to make a positive change.
Also, in its first year, the Beedie Luminaries program awarded 80 scholarships to students in Metro Vancouver. However, this year, the program is expanding province-wide so there are winners from twenty-five B.C. communities.
Benefits Of a Beedie Luminaries Scholarship
In addition to the $15,000 (over a two-year college degree) or $40,000 (over a four-year undergraduate degree), winners also receive access to:
- Invitations to Beedie Luminaries Events
- Invitation to join Beedie Luminaries Digital Community Group
- “Stay on Track” Student Support
- BL Peer Support Groups
- Summer Paid Internship Opportunities
Are you a resilient B.C. student who is facing financial adversity, but have the academic readiness to advance your education, inspire others, and achieve your DREAMS? Then you are on your way to becoming an eligible applicant! However, you need to fulfill the basic eligibility requirements.
Therefore, to be a 2021 eligible applicant, you must be:
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident since 2018.
- A full-time resident of British Columbia.
- In your final year of high school, entering into full-time studies in a first bachelor’s degree, first diploma/certificate, or first trades program at one of the eligible public post-secondary institutions (listed below).
- Ineligible for the B.C. Tuition Waiver Program (for former youth in care)
- Have a minimum cumulative average of 75% (or equivalent) for Grade 11 and available Grade 12 marks that are based on Universities Canada’s Calculation of Average Policy.
- Facing financial adversity.
Moreover, applicants must be enrolled in a recognized and eligible post-secondary institution in B.C., which includes:
- British Columbia Institute of Technology
- Camosun College
- Capilano University
- Coast Mountain College
- College of New Caledonia
- College of the Rockies
- Douglas College
- Emily Carr University of Art and Design
- Justice Institute of British Columbia
- Kwantien Polytechnic University
- Langara College
- Nicola Valley Institute of Technology
- North Island College
- Northern Lights College
- Okanagan College
- Royal Roads University
- Selkirk College
- Simon Fraser University
- Thompson Rivers University
- The University of British Columbia (all campuses)
- University of Northern British Columbia
- Vancouver Community College
- Vancouver Island University
- University of Fraser Valley
- University of Victoria
However, there are no restrictions on the program of study or discipline.
Similarly, winners of this scholarship share four important qualities:
1 . Academic Readiness
These students demonstrate a drive that will navigate them through school to a successful career. Their preparedness is a result of healthy learning habits.
This means having the resilience and persistence to follow through on your dreams, no matter what obstacles are thrown your way. Also, grit is what drives decisions and can even influence behaviour.
So do you think outside of the box? Basically, this includes contributing unique ideas that solve problems. In a nutshell, creative people are daring because they understand that failing a few times can only pave the way for a future win.
Empathetic people contribute to a healthier society because they are sensitive to the feelings of their partners, family, friends, and co-workers, as well as the community. Basically, they have a comprehensive understanding of other people’s emotions.
Additionally, regarding the COVID-19 impact on student financial need, Ryan Beedie is increasing the number of scholarships that are up for grabs. Therefore, 128 scholarships are available for 2021.
“We received an overwhelming number of great applications from deserving students and it was hard to narrow down our selection to the anticipated 105, knowing the impact that the COVID-19 pandemic has had on families and employment opportunities for young people and their parents,” says Ryan Beedie.
“We wanted to extend our support to as many deserving students as possible,” continues Beedie, “as we believe that personal and financial hardship should not stop talented British Columbians from pursuing higher education and realizing their full potential.”
So, here’s what you need to know for your 2021 Beedie Luminaries Scholarship application:
- 128 scholarships will be awarded.
- Applications are accepted from November 13, 2020 – January 13, 2021.
- Winners are notified in late May or June 2021.
- Follow the eligibility requirements closely.
- Review the evaluation criteria.
- Also, make sure you understand the application process and what is expected of you as an applicant.
Moreover, pay attention to all deadlines below. Then you can submit all documents within the proper time frame.
Beedie Luminaries accepts applications:
November 13, 2020 – January 13, 2021 (9 AM PST)
Applications are evaluated and accepted:
March – April 2021
Top finalists are interviewed:
Late April /May 2021
Class of 2021 is announced:
Late May/June 2021
Lastly, the class of 2021 begins their academic journey:
Furthermore, to apply for the Beedie Luminaries Scholarship click here.
However, if you are looking for more details regarding eligibility requirements and the application process, check out How To Apply for Beedie Luminaries Scholarships!
So, what are you waiting for?