As internet-ready devices proliferate in all facets of our lives, so do threats to the privacy of the individuals who use them. Advancing technologies and unforeseen events have created new challenges for schools and for students, making awareness of online security issues and fundamental privacy rights all the more crucial.
That’s why we created the ExpressVPN Future of Privacy Scholarship. Through an annual essay competition, students delve into urgent issues of the digital age, with the chance to win cash prizes.
How to Apply
Applicants must be currently enrolled in either a high school, undergraduate school, or graduate school, which can be located anywhere in the world.
To enter the scholarship competition, write an essay answering the 2022 ExpressVPN Future of Privacy Scholarship prompt below:
If you were writing the rules for the metaverse, how would you ensure it were free, open, and safe?
Your essay should be 600 to 800 words long. Submit your essay by September 15, 2022.
Essays will be graded on the completeness and clarity of their theses and arguments. While we encourage writing with personality and style, please note that this is not a creative writing exercise. Responses must take a clear position on the prompt to be considered.
- Essays must be written in English.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in either a high school, undergraduate school, or graduate school, which can be located anywhere in the world.
- There is no age or citizenship requirement.
- Essays must be sent via email only, to this address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- To be valid, the application email must include the following information:
- Your name
- The name, address, and contact details of your school
- Your current grade level
- One entry per student. Multiple entries per student will be disregarded.
- Essays must be submitted online by September 15, 2022, no later than 11:59 p.m., Pacific Time (U.S.).
- The winner will be announced by the end of October 2022. The prize will be awarded by international wire transfer. The winner will be required to provide his/her bank information in order to complete the bank transfer.
- The winner must submit a valid ID and proof of enrollment in a high school, undergraduate school, or graduate school.
- Employees of ExpressVPN and their immediate family members are not eligible for this contest.
- All entries become the property of ExpressVPN. The contest winner agrees to allow ExpressVPN to publish or print his/her name and essay.
- Winners will be solely responsible for any federal, state, or local taxes.
- The prize is listed and paid in United States dollars (USD).
- The decision of ExpressVPN in respect of any dispute arising out of this program shall be final.