The Terry Fox Humanitarian Award Program aims to honour the spirit of Terry Fox, one of Canada’s greatest heroes, by encouraging Canadian youth who strive to emulate Terry Fox’s courage and determination by providing their communities and those in need with humanitarian service.
Terry Fox Award Recipients are eligible to receive the Award until they graduate with their first university degree or diploma (for a maximum of four years), provided they maintain satisfactory academic standing and a standard of humanitarian work and personal conduct which, in the opinion of the Board of Directors, justifies the award.
The maximum value of the award is $28,000, dispersed over four (4) years. A stipend of $7,000 is issued directly to the institution each year in two installments of $3,500, one in September and one in January. For students who do not pay tuition fees, the award is $3,500 per year, issued directly to the institution in two installments of $1,750 each.
Recipients of the Terry Fox Humanitarian Award may not receive more than $15,000 in total scholarships annually (including the Terry Fox Humanitarian Award). If a student’s awards exceed this amount, any excess will be deducted from the student’s Terry Fox Award.
If a student’s academic expenses are covered by another source, they may choose to decline acceptance of the financial portion of the award. They will still be granted the distinction of being a Terry Fox Scholar.
How to Apply
To be considered for the Award, applicants must meet be
- In good academic standing.
- Canadian citizens or landed immigrants.
- Students graduating from secondary (high) school or students completing their first year of CÉGEP or students who have completed secondary (high) school
- Involved in voluntary humanitarian activities (for which they have not been compensated).
- Planning to or are already studying towards their first university degree or diploma at a Canadian post-secondary institution, or entering their 2nd year of CÉGEP in the upcoming academic year.
- Applicants must provide three (3) referees and upload online an (un)official transcript detailing the applicant’s last two years of schooling (official transcripts, sealed by the issuing institution will be requested from applicants who are selected for an interview). Referees will be emailed a link requesting they complete an online Referee Form on behalf of the applicant.
- The online application, including all the accompanying documents, must be completed and submitted online by the deadline—before midnight. Applications and all documentation (including Referee Forms and unofficial transcripts) received after that date will not be considered, nor will they be held over for the next year.
- The Terry Fox Humanitarian Award is open to students of all abilities and all fields of study.
- Terry Fox Humanitarian Award recipients are selected for their dedication to the humanitarian ideals of Terry Fox, their courage in overcoming obstacles, and definite marks of distinction and persistence in the pursuit of excellence in academic, athletic, and civic life.
- We are looking for humanitarians, those who improve human welfare, make a difference, and have a positive impact on community and others.
- While Terry faced many obstacles, and quite clearly a physical one, candidates may face different types of obstacles. A myriad of obstacles exist, and we consider any adversity that calls for a demonstration of courage, compassion, and fortitude. Financial need is not in itself a criteria of our Award. It can, however, be included as an obstacle.