Single mothers in our society have all walked a different path, some being single mothers by choice while others fleeing abusive relationships. Single mothers face overwhelming demands while providing love and nurturance to their most valued priority: their children. Attending school to better their lives and build a safe and secure home for their children is a stressful juggling act, scrambling to finish assignments in early morning before their children awake, or late at night after their children are asleep. Exhaustion is an understatement for our single mothers. Paying rent, groceries, bills, basic necessities, childcare fees, and attending school on a sole income is financially difficult. Most single mothers work multiple jobs while studying to provide for their families on a single-parent income. This financial burden is strenuous and demoralizing, preventing single mothers from focusing on their studies and achieving a post-secondary education that leads to better employment opportunities, and ultimately a stable future for their families that can have a multigenerational effect.
S.W.I.M.’s unique scholarship program provides financial assistance to single mothers wishing to further their education in a post-secondary academic program. Each year, 3 single mothers are awarded the Strong Mothers Achieving Remarkable Triumph (S.M.A.R.T.) Scholarship, and are provided with the opportunity to better their own and their children’s lives. Recipients are celebrated during our annual London’s Got Talent fundraiser, an event bringing the community together to support and commemorate all single mothers. To date, S.W.I.M. has awarded over $9,000 in scholarships, and is committed to expanding our program’s applicants and winners.
The S.M.A.R.T. Scholarship program awards 3 scholarships annually, each valued at $1,500 CAD.
How to Apply
- Applicants must be single mothers pursuing a post-secondary education in Ontario, Canada.
- Applicants must not be previous recipients of the S.M.A.R.T. Scholarship
- Applicants must be registered with S.W.I.M. This is done by completing the entirety of the scholarship application form.
- Applicants must complete S.W.I.M.’s photography release form. This is done by completing the entirety of the scholarship application form.
- Most recent resume, including any employment, academic, extracurricular, and volunteering history.
- A brief essay about your career goals; where do you see yourself in five years? (500-750 words)
- A personal statement about your experiences as a single mother. (500-750 words)
- Two letters of recommendation from references. (excluding family members)
- Proof of academic enrollment. (ex. a copy of your acceptance letter, academic timetable, or official transcript)
In order to publicize the S.M.A.R.T. Scholarship Award program and to promote Strong Mothers Achieving Remarkable Triumph, the winners’ names and photographs will be announced on/in promotional content, media outlets, and on the S.W.I.M. website. Winners must be available to be interviewed and participate in promotional activities. In agreeing to participate you allow S.W.I.M. and/or representatives the unrestricted right and permission to copyright, use and publish photographs, video and/or audio recordings of you without restriction as to reproduction, made through any and all media for the purpose of promoting the charity. If you do not wish to have the following information made public, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.