Since 2002, the National Society of High School Scholars (NSHSS) has been supporting young academics on their journey to college and beyond as they prepare to become the leaders of tomorrow. Co-founded by the grand-nephew of Alfred Nobel, NSHSS is inspired by the mission of the Nobel Prize to support academic achievement and world betterment. NSHSS pursues this mission by connecting members with scholarships, college fairs, internships, career and leadership opportunities, partner discounts, and more.
NSHSS will recognize fifty (50) students who have written academic papers as class assignments in high school, such as a research paper, an original essay, or an analytical paper. The essay must have been assigned and submitted for a class you have taken in high school, or are currently taking. If you are dual-enrolled in high school and college, you may submit a paper from your college class.
How to Apply
- Canadian high school students in grade 10-12, or;
- US high school sophomores, juniors, or seniors.
- Recommendation Letter
- Color headshot suitable for website posting
- Academic resume
- Upload a copy of your essay on the online application as a PDF in MLA format (double-spaced, 12 point font). Essays must be submitted in English. Include the following details for your paper:
- Title of the paper
- Reference Page included on a separate page of the paper
- Brief description of the assignment
- Name of the class
- Term/year when the class was taken
- Name of the teacher who assigned the paper
- Email address of school counselor
- If you are dual-enrolled, include the name of your college professor from your college course, the college at which you are enrolled, and the name of your high school
Applications Open: December 30, 2022
Closing Date: May 12, 2023 11:59PM
*Please note that closing time is in EST.
- We will not consider fiction or poetry, journal entries, computer programs, or lab reports. You may submit one paper per academic year.
- Winners must agree to the publication of their essay on the NSHSS website in order to receive the award.
- Winning essays will be posted on the NSHSS website.
- Submissions will not be returned.