Lupus Canada is proud to announce the 2023 Lupus Canada Scholarship program. They will be offering six (6) one-time scholarships of $2,000 CAD to students diagnosed with lupus, who are entering into, or currently enrolled in, a post-secondary educational institution.
Lupus is a chronic autoimmune disease that causes inflammation in various parts of the body; it is both life-altering and life-threatening. Lupus Canada is a national voluntary organization dedicated to improving the lives of people living with lupus through advocacy, education, public awareness, support and research.
Post-secondary education – a significant milestone for many students, brings with it both excitement and stress. For individuals living with lupus, post-secondary education may present an additional set of unique obstacles. This scholarship was created to help students living with lupus to succeed in attaining a postsecondary education, and to recognize and raise awareness of the achievement of students living with lupus who have taken a positive and ambitious outlook in achieving their academic goals.
How to Apply
To be eligible for the Lupus Canada Scholarship the applicant must be:
- A legal and permanent resident of Canada;
- Diagnosed with lupus by a physician;
- Seeking an undergraduate or graduate degree from a Canadian university; a diploma or certificate from a Canadian college or enrolled in a trade school educational program;
- Enrolled in or waiting acceptance from a Canadian-based institution of higher education for the fall semester of 2023;
- Taking a minimum 50% of a full course load; and,
- A student who demonstrates academic success and ambition.
*Previous recipients of the Lupus Canada scholarship program are not eligible.
To apply please submit the following documentation by May 31, 2023:
- A completed application form;
- A 500 word essay on how lupus has affected your student life and how you will benefit from this scholarship;
- A one-page letter of recommendation from a teacher, school official, professional colleague, or employer describing your unique qualities and how you overcome the limitations of living with lupus;
- An official academic transcript from your most recent year of education;
- Confirmation of your diagnosis of lupus from a physician; and,
- An interview by phone with the Lupus Canada Scholarship Selection Committee may be conducted at their discretion.
Selection of award recipients will be at the sole discretion of the Lupus Canada Scholarship Selection
Committee. Recipients will be notified in the month of July 2023 via a personal telephone call and a
confirmation letter. After a recipient’s educational enrollment has been verified for the fall 2023
semester, the scholarship will be made payable directly to the educational institution. The scholarship of $2,000 CAD will be awarded to cover the recipient’s tuition and/or educational materials and expenses.
- Please note that components of the application will need to be completed by the student, a school official or professional colleague, and your treating physician.
- Employees and volunteers of Lupus Canada’s Board of Directors and their immediate family members are not eligible.
- Incomplete or late applications will be ineligible for consideration.