The LOUD Foundation invests in future leaders of the Canadian 2SLGBTQ+ community. We believe that by supporting the development of students that possess drive, vision, compassion and knowledge, we can improve society and increase awareness of our diverse community.
LOUD stands for Leadership, Opportunity, Unity & Diversity.
Following our charitable Foundation being formed in 2007, we granted two LOUD Scholarships of $2,000 and one Little Sister’s Bookstore Scholarship of $1,000.
In 2020 we raised the amount to $2500 and awarded 20.
That is $50,000 during the first year of the pandemic. The need was great.
In 2021 we increased to 21 awards, raising the total number of deserving students assisted since our inception to 125.
How to Apply
You must be enrolled and about to begin studies, currently studying, or have completed your program in the last 12 months in a recognized, Canadian post-secondary education institution.
You must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, conventional refugee or refugee claimant (please note that students attending school on a student visa are not eligible for this award).
Each applicant must:
- Write a letter of intent of no more than 1,000 words detailing why you should be the recipient of this award (all media accepted) including your financial need and how this scholarship would address that need. Please note: Applications from all provinces are welcomed but preference will be given to BC applicants or those whose present or future work will, in some way, benefit the BC LGBTQ+ community.
- Provide a copy of your most recent transcripts and proof of enrollment in a post-secondary institution (once you receive it).
- Provide two letters of reference (one of them from a faculty members or instructor). The reference should be no more than two pages long and outline your involvement in local diversity initiatives and your likelihood of success in your post-secondary career. At least one reference must be from the applicant’s school.
- Complete the application form and send in the supporting materials by mail by the deadline.
- Be available for a brief interview by telephone and to accept the award at the annual gala.
The decision of the selection committee is final and is not subject to appeal.
Award money will be released only after proof of enrollment has been provided.