At LA Tutors 123, they believe that it’s more than just the grades that make a great well-rounded student. Each one of you is creative in his or her own way: some of you blog; others curate documentary photography on Instagram; still others find imaginative ways to solve problems in their public and private lives. Creativity is the air each one of us breathes, but sometimes we get so concerned with grades that we forget that imagination is our natural problem solver.
One way to showcase your creativity is to innovate either by solving a problem, by designing something that helps others solve problems, or by enhancing our relationship with whatever matters to us. Innovation is what brings our technical skills and our hopes together in unique ways.
It also provides opportunities for gaining real-working experience in a chosen field, and gives students the chance to connect with adults outside their circle who might be able to help students get into their top choice college or get an internship. In the end, innovation makes people look at the bigger picture, which is the best preparation for college and for life.
At LA Tutors are passionate about sparking the creative genius in students and would love to commend those outstanding students who have a made a difference in the lives of others in some innovative or technological fashion. In order to achieve this, they have established a scholarship for students who meet certain criteria.
How to Apply
This scholarship is available every month. The submission period opens on the 1st of every month at 8:00 AM PST, and closes on the 20th at 11:59 PM PST.
- Must currently be enrolled as a high school or college/university student.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 (or the equivalent).
- Must be a citizen of, permanent resident of, or hold a valid student visa in the United States or Canada.
- Must have designed an innovative project that makes a difference in the lives of others (This could be a website, series of blogs, an app, fundraising event, etc.)
- Must submit an essay describing the goal of the particular project and provide supporting documentation. There is no minimum or maximum word/page count.
- The essay, idea, or creation must be the applicant’s original work.
- Students are welcome to reapply each month. Previous winners are not eligible to reapply.
- Current LA Tutors 123 employees or their immediate family members are not eligible to apply.
- Fill out their online form.
- Essay – The essay should describe the goal of the particular project and provide the link to access the content such as the blog, app, etc. (if applicable). Word or PDF format only.
- Letter of Recommendation—the letter should preferably be from someone who oversaw your project or can speak to the quality of your work on your project. Letters of recommendation of any type are accepted. Word or PDF format only.
- Your Photo – The photo should be one taken during project execution. JPG, PNG, GIF, TIFF format only. Maximum file size 2MB.
- Judged on creativity, innovation, and user experience.
- Questions that guides judges’ selection include:
- Does the project solve a problem?
- If so, how persuasively does the applicant present their point of view?
- Does the project aim for originality or does it repeat what’s already available?
- 3 judges oversee all entries.
- Winner will be contacted via email at the address provided and must respond within 5 days to receive the award. Will be paid via mail.
- Scholarship winners will be contacted via email and must respond within five(5) days of the date of the email to accept the award.
- If no response is received within this time, another recipient will be selected.
- Students who have not been chosen will not be contacted.
- Prize of $500 can be applied to the following school-related expenses:
- On-campus room and board
- Application must be entered using the official LA Tutors 123 Innovation Scholarship submission form. No other forms of submission will be accepted.
- LA Tutors 123 reserves the right to publish content from the submitted essays themselves.
- Personal information submitted will be used solely for the purpose of awarding the scholarship and to announce the winner on the LA Tutors 123 website.
- LA Tutors 123 does not use the information provided in the scholarship application to create listings.
- If the winner fails to contact LA Tutors 123 within five(5) days of receiving the initial award email or fails to follow all submission and criteria rules, LA Tutors 123 reserves the right to award the scholarship to the second place finalist.
- LA Tutors 123 also reserves the right to feature the pictures of all winners with their school affiliations.