The Horatio Alger Association of Canada provides $1.2 million annually in need-based scholarship support for deserving students in all Canadian provinces and territories.
Scholarships of up to $10,000 are awarded to full-time students in Grade 11 with financial need (family income under $65,000) who have demonstrated integrity and perseverance in overcoming adversity, a commitment to pursue a post-secondary education, a desire to contribute to society, and a good academic record.
The Association honours the achievements of Canadians who have succeeded in spite of adversity and who encourage young people to pursue their dreams through higher education. These exceptional individuals receive the prestigious International Horatio Alger Award and are inducted into the Horatio Alger Association of Canada as lifelong Members. Through its Members, the Association educates Canadian youth about the economic and personal opportunities afforded to them by the free-enterprise system.
The Association also awards need-based scholarships annually to deserving students across Canada, who have financial need and who have persevered through adversity. In addition, the Association mentors its Scholars and underscores the importance of helping others. Members work directly to provide promising young people with the support, education and confidence needed to realize their aspirations.
How to Apply
To be eligible to apply for the Horatio Alger Undergraduate Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled full-time as a high school grade 11 or first-year CEGEP student in Canada
- Exhibit a strong commitment to pursue and complete a bachelor’s degree program at an accredited university
- Prove critical financial need ($65,000 or less annual net income per family is required)
- Demonstrate desire and ability to be entrepreneurial in a chosen field
- Be involved in co-curricular and community service activities
- Display integrity and perseverance in overcoming adversity
- Maintain a minimum grade percentage of 70
- Be Canadian citizens
The undergraduate application for current Grade 11 students is open from December 1, 2023 through March 15, 2024 at 12:00 PM EST.
Applicants for both the Entrepreneurial and Undergraduate Scholarships are required to fill out only ONE application. The Association will use the one application to consider you for all programs for which you are eligible.