The Hilary M. Weston Scholarship is awarded to two graduate-level social work students in the area of mental health. Successful applicants each receive a one-time award of $7,500.
How to Apply
Scholarship applicants must:
- Be registered, or plan to register, in a full-time graduate level social work program at a publicly funded Ontario university in the next academic year.
- A student with a permanent disability must take at least 40% of a full course load.
- Have demonstrated interest in and commitment to mental health issues through community service or paid work.
- Have demonstrated academic excellence.
- Have lived in Ontario for at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding registration in a social work program.
You need to mail a detailed form with your information that includes:
- Your qualifications for the award, including how you have demonstrated your interest in and commitment to mental health issues, your academic achievements and your career goals (no more than 1,500 words).
- Your official transcripts in a sealed envelope and stamped by the university.
- A résumé with your employment and/or volunteer experience and/or your publications (if applicable).
- An academic reference that must be on letterhead, signed by the reference letter author and in a sealed envelope with the flap signed by the author.
- A personal reference from an individual familiar with your community service or paid work that demonstrates your interest in and commitment to mental health issues. The reference must be on letterhead, signed by the reference letter author, and in a sealed envelope with the flap signed by the author.
- An independent selection committee reviews each application and recommends the scholarship recipient.
- Recipients are typically announced during National Mental Health Week in May.
If the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, you can submit your application before 5 p.m. the next business day. If your application is received after the deadline, it will be considered for the following year.