The CCOHS Council of Governors established this scholarship fund in 2002 in the memory of Dick Martin, a tireless health and safety advocate and a pioneer of workplace health and safety in Canada.
Awarded annually, this $3,000 national scholarship is available to any student enrolled, either full-time or part-time, in an occupational health and safety related course or program leading to an occupational health and safety certificate, diploma or degree at an accredited college or university in Canada. Programs include mine safety, occupational or industrial health and safety, industrial hygiene, safety management or other related safety degree program.
How to Apply
Any student* enrolled, either full-time or part-time, in an occupational health and safety (OHS) related course or program at an accredited Canadian college or university leading to a certificate, diploma or degree in OHS. Programs include mine safety, occupational or industrial health and safety, industrial hygiene, safety management or other related safety program.
*Student does not have to be Canadian however they need to be enrolled in a Canadian school. Note: CCOHS employees, children or relatives of employees are not eligible for this scholarship award.
All submissions must include a completed online application form, cover letter and essay (applicants will be evaluated based on the submission and completion of all three documents). A Selection Committee will score the applications based on the following criteria:
Completed online application form, which includes information such as:
- Applicants name and contact details
- School and program information including program coordinators contact details
- List of applicant’s academic achievements
- Outline of demonstrated leadership and civic activities
- Two references from a non-family member or personal friend
One page cover letter:
- Outlines your aspirations of obtaining a career in the health and safety industry.
- Must be word processed in a 12-point font, double-spaced
1,000-1,200 word essay on ONE of the following:
- Prevention Essay: Choose a high risk workplace hazard. How would you work to solve and create awareness about the issue?
- Technical Essay: Research an existing or emerging hazard or risk (coverage may include how to identify, assess and control the risks).
Essay and Cover Letter will be judged on the following criteria:
- Word processed in a 12-point font, double-spaced.
- Word count must be included.
- Pages must be numbered.
- Essays must include a bibliography.
- Applicant’s name must not NOT appear on any page of the essay.
Marks on the entire application package will be weighted as follows:
- Application: 15%
- Letter: 25%
- Essay: 60%
The Essay will be evaluated based on:
- Intellectual content (original, thought-provoking): 50%
- Practical value: 20%
- Theoretical value: 20%
- Presentation and style: 10%
- All essays submitted become the property of CCOHS. Successful essays will be published by CCOHS and may be, along with information about the winners, shared widely through our website, government agencies, and media.
- All applicants will be notified of the Selection Committee’s decision.