The Diabetes Hope Scholarship Program is a combined merit and needs based scholarship that celebrates the resiliency of youth with type 1 diabetes. The Scholarship is awarded to students who exhibit excellence in balancing the many responsibilities associated with diabetes management while also overcoming personal challenges, maintaining strong academic standing, enriching their lives through community involvement and extra-curricular activities, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Over the last 25 years, Diabetes Hope Foundation has been successful in engaging more youth from across the country through the expansion and growth of the Scholarship Program across Canada. The 2023 Scholarship Program marked a record year for DHF, with 146 completed applications from across Canada. With the generous support of our donors and community partners, 48 scholarships were awarded to exemplary students nation-wide. To date, 900 scholarships have been awarded to support students with diabetes from across Canada.
In order to provide additional supports through the transition years, all scholarship winners are guaranteed a peer mentor through our HOPE Connects Peer Support Program and each year, many pay it forward by volunteering as peer mentors, committee members and speakers at DHF events.
How to Apply
The Diabetes Hope Scholarship is open to students who:
- Are in their final year at a Canadian secondary school/CEGEP program and will be entering an accredited post-secondary institution in the fall of 2024.
- Live in Canada as a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Hold a valid SIN number (for scholarship distribution purposes).
- Have received care for type 1 diabetes by a Canadian pediatric health care team or physician for a minimum of 1 year preceding this application.
1. Applicant Information Form – Complete this form with your contact information, school/career interests and current diabetes care information.
2. Scholarship Application Form – All seven (7) sections of the application form must be marked as complete and submitted by March 4th, 2024 (midnight PST). It is recommended that you prepare your application form outside of the application portal before you complete the online form. A fillable Word document of all the application questions is available on the DHF website.
3. Referees – You may submit contact information for up to four (4) referees in support of your application. Your referees will receive an invitation to complete an Online Reference Form* through the Survey Monkey platform, and will be asked to speak to your resilience, diabetes management and suitability for the Diabetes Hope Scholarship. Consider carefully who you will ask to be your referee to ensure you choose someone who knows you well and can speak to your suitability for the Diabetes Hope Scholarship.
- Members of your diabetes care team
- Teacher/Guidance Counsellor
- Supervisor/Manager from your place of employment or volunteer work
- Sports Coach
*Reference forms must be completed by the close of the application deadline of March 4th, 2024.
4. Secondary School Transcript – Upload a PDF copy of your official school transcript, including your grades from grade 9 up to your current year records (February 2024). Transcripts can be downloaded from your provincial Ministry of Education website. **Photos of Transcripts will not be accepted.**
5. Photo ID Card – Upload a photo identity document that will confirm your proof of residency in Canada (e.g. provincial driver’s license or identity card).
6. Submitting Your Application – When all the tasks in the application portal have been marked as “Complete”, you will be eligible to submit your application. PLEASE REVIEW YOUR APPLICATION BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ENSURE ALL THE INFORMATION IS ACCURATE AND COMPLETE. Once you submit your application, an email will be sent to the email address provided in the application to confirm that you have successfully completed all application requirements.
If you have any questions about the application guidelines, please contact email@example.com.
For technical support with your application, visit https://dhfscholarship.smapply.io/helpdesk
Meet the Scholarship Advisory Committee
All applicants will be contacted via email by April 15th regarding their application status. Winners will be announced online on Diabetes Hope Foundation’s website and social media channels in late April 2024. A formal invitation to the hybrid Scholarship Ceremony (June 2, 2024) will be sent to all successful candidates.
All applications must be submitted by March 4th, 2024 (11:59 PM PST).